Monday, October 10, 2011

Potty Training Tips - Ryder Style


Let me start out by saying, I am no expert.  We haven't been potty training for long, and my little man makes it easy.  (So easy that as I type this he is standing in front of me without the diaper he was wearing 5 minutes ago signing 'potty' to me)

(pause for potty break)

When I started out I was so completely clueless as to when to start, how to start, and what to do!  How do you teach something like that?  While raising Ryder, I've always been a believer in doing things when hes ready to do them.  I let him tell me, and its the same with potty training.

He had a sudden interest in the toilet. I know all kids have that, but his was more that he wanted to be in the bathroom with us every time we were in there.  So I looked up the sign for 'potty' and taught it to him.  He picked it up immediately and signed potty every time we went in there.

After that, every time I changed his diaper, I would start signing potty to him.  That way he associated the two. Then we started sitting him on the potty for around 10 minutes after every diaper change.

Now the little guy will hit his diaper and sign potty every time he wants to sit on the toilet.  He has only actually went a handful of times, and finds it more interesting to look at his book and play with toilet paper (small, limited pieces of course, its rare that you find a good coupon deal on toilet paper!), but we spend a good amount of time on the potty now and hopefully we will make my goal of being mostly potty trained by the time he turns two.

Tips.


  • I think that the best tip I have is to let your child tell you when they are ready.  Don't push them into doing it, just keep trying and I think you will be able to tell when they are really ready to start.
  • I've heard treats for pottying is used in a lot of cases.  We don't really break out the candy or goodies when he goes, but we do let him flush the toilet.  The button on our toilet is hard to push, so he can't do it on his own, but when he goes we use his hand to push the button and he loves watching the potty go 'bye-bye'.
  • Distraction is a good one two.  I don't think I've ever met a child Ryder's age that could sit still for long.  Well... really, sit still at all.  We have a collection of books in the bathroom for him to look at while pottying. That keeps him busy so that he sits for longer, giving him more of a chance to go.
  • I've also heard that potty books and movies can help.  We've never actually used any of those methods, so I really couldn't tell you if they work or not.  I do know that there is a large variety of them out there.
  • Please remember, this is just my opinion, every child develops differently and your little one will not do things the exact same as my little man does.  I just wanted to use my experience, since I'm just learning myself, to make someones life easier!  If you have any tips, please feel free to send them my way!


Good luck.
Vote For Us @ topbabyblogs.com!


http://www.topbabyblogs.com/cgi-bin/topblogs/in.cgi?id=momma

No comments:

Post a Comment