Sunday, June 19, 2011

18 Months

My little man turned 18 months old last week.  It's amazing the changes in him since he turned a year.  I was reading Bringing Up Bumble a few months ago where she was talking about how different each month is in the first few years of a childs life.  How right she is.  I'm going to steal this idea from her because I really loved it. Here is a list of 18 of my favorite things that my little man is doing at age 18 months.

  1. He walks up and gives me a kiss on the lips for no reason at all
  2. He puts on everyones shoes and walks around the house in them, whether they be dada's shoes, or Wyatt's shoes.
  3. He says 'Momma' when he's sad.
  4. He will sit and play by himself chattering away like he has the most important things to say, even though only he knows what he's saying.
  5. When I put him to bed, he looks up from his crib at me, rubs his eyes, and smiles.
  6. His hair grows faster than I know what to do with.
  7. He knows what he wants to eat, and won't eat anything besides that.
  8. He has to use the fork at mealtime, if I do it for him he won't eat.
  9. He loves his dada and will spend hours in his arms.
  10. Dada takes him for rides on the lawn mower and he will point around the yard to everything that he thinks is interesting.
  11. He knows where his belly, ears, nose, mouth, hair, and toes are.
  12. He does everything he can to help me with Wyatt, including bring his bottle when he cries, attempt to feed him, throw away diapers, help burp him, and tries to hold him. 
  13. He loves being outside and going places.
  14. He knows what the tv remote does and will steal it just to push buttons and see what happens.
  15. If he sees you do something once he can almost always repeat it.
  16. He would rather drink out of a water bottle than from his cup, and is able to remove and replace the cap when he takes a drink.
  17. He loves animals, and will chase the cat all over the house.
  18. He loves books and will go get one when you mention reading to him.

You never realize how fast time goes... even after two hundred people tell you.

I suppose I should also mention though, that with the 18 month age comes the beginning signs that soon he will be two. 

The combination of his lack of ability to communicate and this strange stage that all babies must go through on their path to boyhood sometimes makes for very long and tough days.  It also marks the very first time that I have actually been truely stumped as to how to help my poor little man. 

What does a mother do about things like not knowing whether your child wants strawberries or a cup of milk, and the tantrum that comes with the fact that he can't tell me?  I've gotten a lot of advice from a lot of people, and for that I am thankful, but its a lot easier to talk about it than it is to put it into action.

I just pray that his words will come soon.  He seems to struggle so much sometimes, I just want to do everything that I can to help him.  Including pushing aside the envy when I see another 18 month old child in the grocery store talking about the baby and saying buh-bye to everyone that walks by. 

Shouldn't my little boy be the one getting the smiles from his chatter? 

He is not a quiet child, not even close.  He yells and "chatters" and makes noises all day long, so much so that some days I enjoy the peace of naptime.  Just no words.  He just points and whines when he wants something. 

Trevor is finally with us for the summer.  I am so thrilled to have him here!  Although he is a little bit rough with Ryder, he also keeps him busy and more calm.  And the longer he is with us, the better he will get.  I know its hard on him adjusting to different households. 

Dada is taking Trevor to the circus tomorrow.  I would love to go with them and take Ryder, but I just know that he isn't quite old enough to be able to sit for that long.  And although it is less than a mile from our house, it seems like too much to take him, pay to get in, and then to leave soon after when he starts to get antsy. 

Next year.

I am planning a trip to the zoo soon though.  Ryder loves animals so much that I cannot wait to get him and Trevor over to the little zoo in the woods.  I think I love it there just as much as the kids will.  It's so beautiful and relaxing to see all the animals.  I can't wait.  We took Trevor when he was around three.  He didn't enjoy it because at the time, I wasn't really a mom yet.  I didn't realize that little boys cannot spend a day out in the heat like that without a stroller and "Momma's Goodie Bag" overflowing with momma tools of the trade. 

This time I will be prepared.  Over packed, over sunblocked, and ready for anything.

Couponing really has become a huge part of my life now.  I even dream about them.  It's addicting, and I want to share my knowledge of it with everyone I meet.  How can you not enjoy getting more than half off your grocery bill?? 

I went to the local walmart the other day.  I walked out with over $9.00 worth of items including:
  • 4 Travel Sized Dial Body Washes
  • 3 Travel Sized Huggies Wipes
  • 2 Bottles of Store Brand Hand Soap
My total was $1.06.  How can you not want to do that?

Also, with my $0.50 off huggies baby wipes coupons, I was able to purchase four 64 count plastic tote baby wipes for $0.50 each.  And the soft packs were free! (But sold out of course)

I also feel like it's a huge part of the new organized me.  I've fallen neatly into the role of wife, mother, and homemaker.  I've found a use for couponing in taking care of my family, and that makes it even more worth it.  If I can save money on items that I have to buy anyway, then there will be more money there to buy diapers, and maybe start that college fund for each of the boys that I dream about. 

I got the manager at the local grocery store to write me a raincheck for Sobe Energy Drinks.  They are running a deal where if you buy 10 drinks, you get 5 free, which makes them only $0.67 each.  Normal retail price on them being $1.59.  Having a raincheck for them makes it so I can go back, whenever I want to, and buy as many as I want to (not having to worry about intervals of 15, or a limit of 45) and still pay $0.67 each.  Jackpot.

I finally went and bought some of the totes I need to organize my baby clothes.  I want to go through and get rid of all the stained ones (thanks to my wonderful spit up boy).  I plan on giving them away free to whoever might use them.  I hate the idea of throwing them away when there are so many woman out there that are pregnant and trying to figure out how there are going to clothe the child inside of them.  I also want to organize them all by size (newborn, 0-3, 3-6, 6-9, 12, etc.) so that it's easier to get to them when I need to pull new clothes out for Wyatt, and easier to put them away as well.  Concidering I now have two large totes and a box completely pack full and overflowing of all sizes of boys clothes, I need to do this as soon as possible. 

On a different note, I'd like to wish Happy Father's Day to my dad, my father-in-law, and my wonderful husband.  Shane has been there for me through so much.  He has blessed me in so many ways, including making me a mother.  He is there for our boys, loves them, prays for them, cares for them, plays with them, worries about them, and truely loves them with all of his heart.  The fact that he does those things is the biggest blessing he could give me.  How did I get so lucky? 

I love you darling, Happy Father's Day.


No comments:

Post a Comment